Friday 1 June 2007

Weekend Lunch Series: Rajma & Paratha

A simple lunch of Rajma and yeasty Parathas makes up this weekend's lunch series. A real quick post, I am still working on the "Spring Fling Roundup". Choosing the winner is quite tough! I need some more time, but I promise to have the roundup by next week.

Meanwhile, here is a very easy recipe for the busy weekends, make it even easier by using canned Kidney beans.

To make the Rajma:
  • 2 cups dry Rajma ( Red kidney beans) - You can use Canned Dark Red Beans instead.
  • 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
  • 1 inch piece ( roughly) Ginger, chopped
  • 3 Green chillies, or 2 jalapeƱos, chopped
  • 3 Tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Coriander powder,1 tsp Red chilli powder, 1tbsp Rajma Masala ( I use Roopak brand)
  • 2 tbsp Oil- I use Corn Oil
  • Handful of Cilantro leaves- chopped
If using the dried beans, soak rajma overnight. Wash and pressure cook the rajma. Keep aside. If using canned ones, make sure to drain the liquid and rinse really well.

Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and chillies. Fry until they turn brown. Add onions and tomatoes. Cook until the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well. Add the boiled rajma, red chili powder, coriander powder, Rajma masala and stir. I use the "Roopak" brand of Rajma Masala, use any other brand you like, but I do prefer this brand, it has an authentic Dhaba flavor, which I love. No, this is not a paid advertisement. :)

Lower the heat and cook until a thick gravy is formed.
Remove from the heat. Garnish rajma with Cilantro leaves and savor each bite. This recipe is really good, I can eat this Rajma curry the next day by itself when all the flavors have had a chance to blend in.

Parathas:
  • 1 cup: Whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup: All Purpose Flour
  • 1 tbsp: yeast mixed with a pinch of sugar and a little bit of hot water
  • Salt: to taste
  • 1 tsp: Oil
  • Hot water or Milk: to knead the dough
Mix the flours together, add the oil and a little salt. Mix a little bit of yeast with some hot water and sugar. Let the yeast do its work, when it foams, add this mixture to the flour. Gradually, add the hot water or milk and make a pliable dough. Let this dough rest for at least an hour. Make Parathas as usual. These are really tasty, the yeasty flavor goes really well with the spicy Rajma curry. Do try them for a nice variation to the usual combination of Rajma-Chawal.

Meanwhile, Check out the Indian Spiderman "Makkad-Man"- TOO funny. Have a nice weekend!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, Trupti, and so does the sambharo in previous post! I made Asha's rajma with parathas -- will have to try yours too :)

Have a great weekend!

Raaga said...

I've never tried making rajma after the first fiasco... maybe I should try again :) Lovely blog, great recipes and beautiful pictures.

FH said...

T ,I made Rajma with Paratha as you know and few Punjabi Delhites came and blasted me for pairing Rajma with Parathas!! Apparently,you eat Rajma ONLY with rice and it's blasphemy to add parathas!!!!!!:D
I always serve with Parathas too,yeast Parathas are a fab idea.Yesterday,I was reading about Yeast Muffins!Got to try,thanks for these darling.
Have a great weekend,hugs.Take the kids to see Shrek 3(lot F..t jokes there,bet they laugh their head off!!;D)

Coffee said...

During my college days we used to get half thali in the canteen and 3 oout of 5 days they had rajma chawal and paratha for lunch!!!!! I can outrun anyone int he amount of Rajma that I have eaten then!! :) Loved your version of parathas..... :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, your rajma looks really good!!! loved it!

Sia said...

another comfort food by u T... love rajma-chawal... i like rajama which has got thick gravy. so i usally grind half the onion and chop other half. mmm... i can almost feel the taste!!!

Richa said...

wow! that bowl of rajma looks awesome! maney rajma/chawal combo bau gamey, such a comfort food :) yeasty parathas recipe mast che :) have a fun wknd sweetie!

Tee said...

hey,
I had rajma-pulav for dinner yesterday itself.
Your rajma looks delicious! Feel like having more now...
thanks for stopping by at my blog.

Mishmash ! said...

I like rajma a lot but my hubby is not a great fan....so whenever our friends invite us for food and if they serve rajma, I am quite happy :) yours look quite delicious.
Enjoy your weekend!

Shn

Vasu said...

Hey Trupthi,love your blog..have tried quite a few of your recipes..they have turned out gr8.I wanna try the rajma 2day..but i don't have any rajma masala..can i substitute choley masala??

sunita said...

Trupti, The rajma looks delicious...as for the pairing with parathas, I too usually have it with them or rotis...which reminds me, I have'nt made them for while now...

ServesYouRight said...

Parathas look DELISH! as does the rajma :-) Makkad man had me grinning all day :-) I'm considering a quick Toronto trip! Got food ideas for me?!

smita

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Trupti,

I love rajma, it is my favorite!! And if Asha had people say that serving with paratha's is quite non-traditional, I should tell you I love eating rajma with south indian style yogurt rice.

Love the picture!
Kanchana

Kribha said...

Beautiful pic trupti. I make it the same way too. Looks soooo comforting.

Jyothi said...

Hi Trupti, never prepared rajma recipes. now a days searching for a rajma recipe. Thanks for sharing. Looks delicious and great. Will try soon.

Sreelu said...

Trupti,

Rajma and roti fav combo. Hey loved makkad man clip, i love the background music of karan johar's.very very funny .Thanks for the clip

Sharmi said...

hey Trupti, lovely and comforting combination. will add a katori of dahi too. happy weekend.

Sharmi said...

oh Btw Makkad man was so funny:))

Cynthia said...

Trupti - this is comfort food. I love all legumes and kidney beans is right up there among my favourites. The Rajma is so fulfilling just to look at.

archana said...

Love the rajma and the yeasty parathas.I too use Roopak masala. The aroma from Rajma ohh is too good.Real comfort food, my fav Sunday menu :)

Viji said...

Shall I come Trupti. So nice. My favorite. Viji

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seema Bhat said...

Trupti,
Rajma chawal urf rajma paratha is a very soothing and good to stomach combo right? I have never tried using rajma masala. Will surely keep an eye on Roopak brand next time. Yeast parathas look soft and fluffy as well. Good luck with the roundup girl.
Have a great weekend.
Seema

Menu Today said...

Hi Trupti,
Your version looks nice.

Anonymous said...

Looks yum, T! Loved how crisp the veggies look inyour sambharo. Your puff samosas look absolutely delicious! And thos dips, wah! Am saving your smoked eggplant recipe. It looks so good!

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer weather. Me, I'm more busy now with many home improvement ptojects that were long overdue. But our home is looking a lot better, I must say! :)

TheCooker said...

Never tried Roopak masala. Now I'll be on the lookout for it.
The Rajma looks totally and completely delicious. And the parathas....comptetition for Richa!

Kajal said...

Very nice combo
I love this dish my dear very much so you send me
Great pic with nice dish
good day

Bubbalili said...

Very yummy combo. I would try this with some Kashmiri Rajma from my Pantry.

DEEPA said...

rajma ...very nice one ..excellent one ...i make them often at home ...goes great with chapti and paratha ...

Prema Sundar said...

I almost use the same ingredients for making rajma curry but I grind everything and then pressure cook with the soaked rajma.looks good and will be great with parathas.

Search this Blog: