Saturday 3 February 2007

Gujarati Series-Phulka Rotlis and Turia Shaak


Several readers have asked me post some authentic Gujarati style curries,daal and phulkas...this post is for all those who have an interest in making Gujarati food at home...I really like getting requests for recipes,that means that I have active readers who regularly visit my blog...It is indeed very encouraging. So, thank you and keep those lovely e-mails coming. Today, I present to you my way of making the softest,puffiest rotlis..or phulkas as they are popularly known and a recipe for Gujarati style Ridege Gourd curry.


For the Rotlis or Phulkas, you will need:

1.5 cups wheat flour, use a good brand- I use Suraj Atta.
Enough hot water or Milk- to knead the dough into a smooth ball.
1 tsp oil.

I have finally found the ways to make the softest rotis. One: making the dough well ahead of time and letting it rest. I often make it a few hours in advance, or even in the morning. Two: using milk in place of water for a Calcium boost, you will not only get the benefits of the milk, but will get the softest rotis. If you prefer not to use milk, use hot water and when ready to roll out the rotis, add a few drops of milk to knead the dough towards the end. This will work too.
Roll out into thin rounds after giving the dough a good knead. Make sure the pan is on a medium high heat. Put the rolled out roti on pan, keep turning the rolled out rotli in a circular motion to ensure that the bottom gets cooked evenly. Flip the roti over, get a stovetop grill,and place on the element, put the roti on top and press down on the sides so that it will puff up. With a pair of tongs, take the roti off the grill and then butter it. Store in an air-tight container. I prefer to use a margarine with Omega-3 in it as a spread on the rotis,especially for the kids. I eat mine without any ghee or margarine on it though. Margarine with omega-3 acids is healthier and it also keeps the rotis soft. Make all the rotis in the same manner and store in an air-tight container.

To make the ridgegourd cur
ry:

Take 1 packet frozen ridge gourd or if you are lucky, fresh ridgegourd-cut into chunks,
1 medium tomato-chopped, jeera seeds, oil, hing(asafoetida), 2 garlic cloves-chopped -for the tempering,
turmeric powder,salt, a pinch of sugar, chili powder, dhania-jeera powder, 1 clove garlic-grated.

Heat oil in a wide pan, add jeera seeds, garlic and the hing. Add the ridgegourd pieces. Add the turmeric and tomatoes and cover the pan. After 7-8 minutes, add the rest of the spices and the grated garlic for more flavor. Cover and let it cook until done. Serve hot.

I served: turia shaak (ridgegourd), Bhinda (okra), Gujarati Daal, rotis, rice and yogurt for a complete meal.

Next in the series, I will post the recipe to make the traditional Undhiyu.

27 comments:

swapna susarla said...

hi trupti
for making rotis i always the follow it..i will knead the dough and will keep it for 4-5 hours..
ridge gourd curry is some what new to me.i never add tomato to it....thanks for sharing

FH said...

Trupti,this idea is fabulous!I love Gujarati and Andhra cuisine.Great start with the basics.I will start saving them.Thanks for these sweetie!:))

Sangeeta said...

Hi Trupti,

How did you read my mind ? I love this Turai bhaji and now thanks to you I have the recipe. :) Enjoy the weekend and the Superbowl :)

mommyof2 said...

How do you make gujju dal:-) can't wait to try ur next recipe:-)

Anonymous said...

Right on!!!!!

Till now even I used to spread margarine..... but then I came to know that margarine is not good for long term efffects.... butter or ghee is healthier!!!1 Check out the facts.

Sri said...

Trupti thanks for posting authentic gujarati dishes...Trupti i love love love gujarati dal too could you please post the recipe. I am definitely gonna try this turia shaak and post it in my blog...keep posting those authentic gujarati recipes....Thanks Trupti.

Sri said...

Forgot to mention...I am loving santoor music too...Its very relaxing hearing to it.

Sia said...

that's great trupti... i love gujarathi food:) keep posting recipes girls and my eyes will be glued to ur blog;)

Sumitha said...

Look at that perfect phulka,Lovely!Undhyo reminds me of the song frm Kal ho na ho;)

Bong Mom said...

I am not much good at making rotis and your step by step pics look great
Nice phulkas !!!

Anonymous said...

Great dish ben...I do like turias, such a lovely distinct taste, I think. The dish looks great...hey when you gonna invite bhai for dinner...food looks yummy...and I am hungry...~grin~...take care ben...

J said...

Wow Trupti! Now thats called the perfect rotli!! Our very good friends are gujaratis and thanks to them, I've cultivated a taste for gujju food. I'm amazed at the thinner than paper rotlis and theplas they make. I recently learnt to make handwa. I'm also a sucker for undhiya, kadhi, daal, gavar dhoklis. Keep those recipes coming!!:)

Life said...

wah trupti...

turiya nu shaak ane garam garam rotli....mane kya re jamva bolavo cho???

Seema Bhat said...

Wow Trupti, Such a healthy gujarathi mean. I am on my way to your place gal. Loved the idea of kneeding the chapathi dough with milk. Am surely gonna try it that way next time. Just a quick question tho'. Are you supposed to heat the milk or warm it before you use it for kneeding. Please let me know.
Thanx
Seema

TNL said...

Hi Seema, yes, you can warm up the milk for around 30 seconds in the microwave, it will be better that way.

-Trupti

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hmm thrupti,
This looks gread dear.I had a gujarathi friend and used to love all her tiffin food during my school days.hmm looking forward for much more.

Inji Pennu said...

Ah, there I see it 'a pinch of sugar' on your post. So it is true. I have always heard about this pinch of sugar in authentic gujarati cooking but never came across one recipe like that.

Do you know by any chance why you add that sugar?

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

When does puffed up Phulkas taste best? When it's hot, served directly from Segdi to Thali with halkishi shudha homemade ghee ki dhar.

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti,

The ridgegourd curry and rotis look wonderful! I love all the new veggies I've discovered in Indian cooking -- but ridgegourd is probably my favorite. I will definitely be trying this!
Rotis are so impressive when they puff up that way and still come out looking so soft. This is something I haven't tried as my stove is electric, but looks like an electric element in your pic... maybe I'll try. So many great tips should make it easier -- thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti,
You have designed your blog very well. That flower looks too cute.
I make phulkas daily but you have given me one big tip , of using hot water or milk.I am going to try this.Thanx.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Trupti,

Thanks for the roti tips.. Sure Iam going to follow it from today.And the thali looks inviting.

burekaboy — said...

wow trupti, every time i leave here i am so hungry :)) always a great selection of vegetarian dishes to choose from.

Seema Bhat said...

Trupti,
Thank you so much for the idea of using milk when making chapathi. I tried it yesterday and my chapathis turned out so very soft and fluffy.
Thanx a bunch gal.
-
Seema

Nabeel said...

hmmm .. chapatti and sabzi .. both are welcome here anytime.

Mala Venkatesh said...

Hi Trupti,

Those roti's look awesome...

I have a question though.. where did you get your stove-top grill.. I live in the US, and I am hoping I can get one soon..

Thanks a lot for the great recipe..

M

Unknown said...

Trupti....your recipes are amazing!!!!!!! This is what i wz looking for......i m gonna b on ur blog site for a while!!!!

Anonymous said...

could you tell me where to get the stove top grill in the US?

Search this Blog: