Thursday 29 March 2007

JFI- Tomato: Idlis with Tomato Chutney

My first ever entry to JFI.....yeah, I know, I should go and bury my head in the snow........ This wonderful idea, originally started by dear Indira of Mahanandi, has grown to be one of the best,and most participated events in the Food Blog arena.

This month, the theme belongs to my favorite- Tomatoes. Hosted by "RP of My Workshop", this event is going to be sure-fire hit. Many thanks to RP for hosting this wonderful event!

I wanted to make something different this time, so opted to make a delicious chutney to go with idlis for a Sunday brunch. I was inspired by this recipe for Tomato Chutney on Priya's Blog and wanted to try it ASAP! It came out really well, I must say.

Here is the recipe, I made a few changes to suit our Gujju tastes:
  • 3 -large Ripe tomatoes - Chopped roughly
  • 1- Red onion - chopped
  • 1 -Dry red chilli
  • 1 tsp-Mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp-Urad Daal
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Asafoetida - to taste
  • 1 tbsp- Idli Chutney Powder
  • Sesame oil - 1 tsps/ Olive Oil - tsp
  • Salt to taste, A little bit of sugar....( I can't help it, I'm a Pure Gujju Brahmin, gotta have that sugar)
In a small pan, heat the oils. Add the Urad Daal, Curry leaves, Mustard seeds,dry red chili and the asafoetida. When they start spluttering around, add the onions, mix well....add the tomatoes and Chutney powder. Cook until the tomatoes are soft. Blend the whole thing in a grinder and serve hot with Idlis.
I also served a roasted chana Daal chutney with this. Tomato Chutney was just the right kick I needed with my Idlis. This also makes the perfect weekend brunch. Try it and see.



Upcoming Post Preview: "Goli- Lakhoti Masala Soda - Guest Post by K"

JFI-Tomato Image Courtesy: RP

29 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

Hi Trupti, I cant believe that this is ur first ever entry to jfi, coz even before i started blogging which was hardly 3 months ago, i had read about this event :)) tomato chutney, till half way, its all the same ingredients, but the rest is different from mine, ofcourse there is this gujju element there:)

And hey u re one pretty young lady..cant believe that you got those two big boyssssssssss!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti , thanks for including my blog in your list of new blog finds.

The tomato chutney looks delicious n the idlis... perfect:)

Swapna said...

Trupti,
Very nice entry for the JFI..You rock, lady!

Manasi said...

Yummy... and i totally agree with u abt adding sugar for 'that' taste... I guess it is s Brahmin thing!
AND, is that U with Rahul Sharma? Cool!!!!!!!

Saju said...

Hi Trupti
looks tasty!

swapna susarla said...

Hi trupti
nice chutney.my sis is a big fan of this tomatoes.she will take if we give her tomato dishes for a ful week also.hee hee..

i too add sugar for this chutney.it will give a good taste too.

Bong Mom said...

Very pretty and nice entry Trupti

musical said...

Ah, my all time favorite chutney.

Kindred spirits-i don't have any more doubts :).

May be i should also think of participating in these intersting events.

USHA said...

Hi Trupti,

Tomato chutney looks delicious and nice entry for the event..

Anonymous said...

Trupti, I have tasted this yummy chutney with idlis at some retaurants in India but never knew how to make it - thanks to you, I can now make it at home too - mmmmmm, I can almost taste it.....

FH said...

You know T,you and I think and cook same thing well..similar.I made my mom's Tomato chutney today for my next post!!:D
It's different form this.Adding Idli chutney pd is new.Thanks for the tip.I like to add the sugar whenever I cook the tomatoes to balance the acidity.
Great entry,enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Trupti,
Your idli's have come so soft & with that tomato chutney is really tempting!!
Being busy these days i missed so many of ur recipes...Love to make those khamans!!

Seema Bhat said...

Trupti,
Loved the tomato chutney recipe and the idlis look so soft and fluffy too. I am sure this one is a deadly combination

Sharmi said...

hey Trupti, can't really believe its ur first entry!! and even the idlis and chutney made by a beautiful Guju??? Amazing entry!!
my mom too adds a lil sugar in the tomato chutney which I have posted initially in my blog.

cheers
sharmi

Anonymous said...

Hi trupti

your chutney pudi combination to chutney is indeed very good tip.

the chutney looks yummy with the fluffy iddlis.

Anonymous said...

I am more interested in those white fluffy idlis than the tomato chutney....:-)

The Idlies look really soft and spongy...great entry

Anonymous said...

NICE. One question though, we have got a bunch of green tomatoes with us right now, can they be substituted for the red ones.

Samir

Anonymous said...

Trupti,
The soft white idlis with the tomato chutney looks wonderful!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I tried your chutney recipe and it came out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
-Nandini

Mandira said...

The tomato chuney looks delicious, perfect combination too - fiery red tomatoes with soothing white idlis. :)

Anonymous said...

delicious chutney and a nice entry :)

TNL said...

Hey Samir,

thanks for the comment....I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the green tomatoes...the only thing is that the chutney won't be as juicy as the red ones...but try it, it might work! let me know if you or your wife do. Use canned tomatoes if you have some too... :)
trupti

Anonymous said...

sounds great, idli with tomato chutney ,a must try for sure.

Viji said...

The idlis and chutneys are perfect Trupti. Mouthwatering. Viji

Dilip said...

Trupti, I think I added a comment here in the last few days, but it doesn't seem to have shown up. I had meant to say that I love heirloom tomatoes and use them whenever possible - their taste is so much richer than those that are more conventionally available. Thanks for sharing your blog!

Menu Today said...

Hi Trupti,
Perfect entry for JFI.Adding idli chilli powder is a brilliant idea.
Your idli looks so soft and fluffy.
Thanks for sharing your version of chutney.

Anonymous said...

Could you elaborate on this Idli chutney powder please. Have never heard of such thing before in my life unless its very ABCD thing..

TNL said...

Anon: Idli Chutney Powder is a mixture of dried,powdered spices and toor daal. When mixed in with some ghee, it is an accompaniment to Idlis and Dosas...its a new find for me, i had mine sent from India. It is awesome! I am sure, if you go on google blog search, you will find a recipe for it.....or try the South Indian stores and ask them for some.

hope this helps,
trupti

Mansi said...

I am going to try this tomorrow Trupti!

Search this Blog: