Thursday, 29 March 2007

JFI- Tomato: Idlis with Tomato Chutney

My first ever entry to JFI.....yeah, I know, I should go and bury my head in the snow........ This wonderful idea, originally started by dear Indira of Mahanandi, has grown to be one of the best,and most participated events in the Food Blog arena.

This month, the theme belongs to my favorite- Tomatoes. Hosted by "RP of My Workshop", this event is going to be sure-fire hit. Many thanks to RP for hosting this wonderful event!

I wanted to make something different this time, so opted to make a delicious chutney to go with idlis for a Sunday brunch. I was inspired by this recipe for Tomato Chutney on Priya's Blog and wanted to try it ASAP! It came out really well, I must say.

Here is the recipe, I made a few changes to suit our Gujju tastes:
  • 3 -large Ripe tomatoes - Chopped roughly
  • 1- Red onion - chopped
  • 1 -Dry red chilli
  • 1 tsp-Mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp-Urad Daal
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Asafoetida - to taste
  • 1 tbsp- Idli Chutney Powder
  • Sesame oil - 1 tsps/ Olive Oil - tsp
  • Salt to taste, A little bit of sugar....( I can't help it, I'm a Pure Gujju Brahmin, gotta have that sugar)
In a small pan, heat the oils. Add the Urad Daal, Curry leaves, Mustard seeds,dry red chili and the asafoetida. When they start spluttering around, add the onions, mix well....add the tomatoes and Chutney powder. Cook until the tomatoes are soft. Blend the whole thing in a grinder and serve hot with Idlis.
I also served a roasted chana Daal chutney with this. Tomato Chutney was just the right kick I needed with my Idlis. This also makes the perfect weekend brunch. Try it and see.



Upcoming Post Preview: "Goli- Lakhoti Masala Soda - Guest Post by K"

JFI-Tomato Image Courtesy: RP

TIBETAN HERBAL MEDICINE

Search this Blog: