Friday 16 March 2007

Weekend Lunch Series: Makai Chevdo.....and Laments of a Cricket Fan's Wife....

Another weekend favorite of mine...this is Makai No Chevdo or even known as Makai ni Khichdi in some homes. This can be eaten as is or with some yogurt. I have known some people that like this with plain bread too. Just what exactly is this,you ask? Well....it's sweet corn simmered in spices and milk, and is one great item to have on busy weekends.

This is what you will need:

2 cups Corn - frozen corn works too.
1 JalapeƱo, ginger - crushed
handful of coriander leaves- chopped
Jeera seeda, asafoetida, oil - to temper,
1 cup Milk - diluted with some water.
Salt, and lemon juice to season...

Heat some oil in a pan. Add Jeera seeds and the asafoetida. When they turn red, add the corn. Stir for a bit and cover the pan. Alternatively, you can crush the corn in a blender if you don't like it whole. Just be sure to defrost the corn first, if using the frozen kind. I didn't crush the corn completely, I like some whole corn pieces in this. After 8-10 minutes, add the jalapenos and ginger. Add the milk now, along with the spices. Turn the heat down to medium and let the corn turn really soft. If it seems too dry, you can add some water or milk. Adding milk brings out a really nice flavor. Add some lemon juice towards the end to really give it a kick..... and garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy with a cup of tea.

Now onto another things......

The Cricket World Cup Series: my Souten(home-wrecker) in disguise.....she changes her looks and personality with each season it seems, she was a football at first,then a golf ball,and now she's turned into the cricket ball. I have to accept it, she is here to stay. Chor.

Yes, folks, I have completely lost my hubby to Cricket. Ever since we subscribed to the Satan's Lore..err....the Cricket Network here (yes, It does exist!) there's no hope left.......K is going to be plastered to the TV tomorrow and until this ends. Looks like I'll have to peel him off the couch.

For Cricket Fans, K recommends this site and this one for the latest on Cricket. Enjoy the games for those who're into this sport....and for someone like me, who doesn't know the difference between Dhoni and Dhulai (kapdo ki), join the club!

Image courtesy: Cricket UK.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe..i am in your club Trupti..you rightly said "cricket" is the other woman in my life too..:-)
Nice recipe..looking forward for chole bhature

Mishmash ! said...

Trupti, this gujarati series is becoming irresistible for me...I wish I was in ur neighbourhood!! really, one day I think of making kadhi, the next day u come up with samosas and then the chana curry....and then I think I will make that one and come back and comment and there u re with another new dish!! Why do u do this to me ???? :)

Shn

Sig said...

Trupti thanks for bringing us all these wonderful Gujju recipes.

About cricket, I know what you mean. She is just one of the other women in my life, along with NFL, MLB, NBA, Nascar... :(

Aahaar Vihaar said...

Trupti,
Corn is a very healthy grain and makai chevda looks great.

Deepa Hari said...

Nice Gujju recipes...good job.

Richa said...

ooh trupti u don't like cricket, that's a bummer! we have spent many a night huddled infront of the tv along with friends watching the games. tea is made atleast once every hour, savouries are gobbled real fast and it's so much fun. made so much noise, woke up the neighbors.

good recipe, thanks.

Shivapriya said...

Nice recipe. So we all belong to same "C" club. I already started peeling my husband from the couch:D.
You have a wonderful blog, and delicious Gujarati recipes. I have couple of Gujarati friends in CA and I love recipes from their kitchen.

bee said...

gujjuben who doesn't like cricket? not allowed.

btw, my rahul dravid is cuter than your rahul sharma.

musical said...

Makai Chevdo is an ever favorite quick eat, i make it often (but with less milk). completely yummy and filling, and i love whole corn.

and even though i am single, i still understand what you mean by "laments of a Cricket fan's wife" :).

Swapna said...

Trupti,
Your Gujrathi dishes are awesome..I am slowly going to try all of them..This Makai Khichdi must be tasting zinfully delicious..
I was a avid cricket fan..but, lost interest after the scam of heavy betting..Luckily, cricket is not my sauten:)
All the best to you!:)
Swaps

bee said...

poll's open. who's hotter? rahul dravid or rahul sharma at

www.jugalbandi.info

sorry, trupti. you've lost this one, honey. :-)))

FH said...

Great looking dish,it's new to me and sounds good too ,thank you.

About Cricket,I asked Arvind if he wants to subscribe Dish Network cricket package,he said no!Since it comes at day time,he can't watch LIVE ,so I am okay here.He checks out in the internet when he comes home though.I am into Cricket either,I just want to know who won and who lost!;D

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi thrupthi,
This recipe is similar to corn kernals in cream base what i had seen in food channel.Well looks great,I have some corn in my fridge and was searching for some thing different to prepare.Think will try this .Thanks for sharing..

Sharmi said...

Hi Trupti, The recipe sounds like a great comfort food which can be even had in the evenings. I have always bought fresh corn. will frozen corn give a good taste like the fresh ones? want to try this recipe in this week. looks soooo nice. btw I am in your club. But I am one lucky wife, my hubby does not watch cricket much. he needs company for that which I dont give!!
nice humourous writing!!
sharmi

Anonymous said...

Hey Trupti! I can so relate with you. My Hubby is die-hard cricket fan as well, and to make matters worse, so is the rest of both our familes - which kind of leaves me out in the cold! Thank goodness for two TVs! :o)

Viji said...

This is something healthy and quick to prepare. I love corns Trupti. Tks for sharing. Viji

Sri said...

Trupti the makai khichadi looks like a healthy dish...never had it before... the color is so fresh and bright good for kids too :). About cricket my hubby is only interested in score and last minute match :)but still i do have one COMPUTER...I literally call it my soute

Mehul Mike Patel said...

Trupti you are better then Tarla Dalal!

Impressive stuff!

MP
http://www.indychai.com/

Latha said...

Yumm! The makai chevdo looks yumm! My kids love corn! This is soemthing that looks like thye will devour it! Bookmarked!
Cheers
Latha

Anonymous said...

lovely Makai chevdo...its really devine I am sure...I too am glued to the telly..watching the cricket...~smile~...its great fun...

Anonymous said...

very lovely healthy recipe Trupti..you are bringing Gujarati food to a great new level by keeping the authenticity and making us more aware of it...

I am also a big fan of cricket if the match is b/w India and Pakistan or India and Australia.... :-)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Your souten, huh?? :)
N & I hadn't watched cricket in a very long time but this time b'coz it was World Cup, N did subscribe to something online and I even watched today's matches for a bit!

Your corn Chevdo looks yum, T! And I vote for Rahul Sharma!

swapna susarla said...

Hi trs
wonderful dish..
i am in ur club only.of course i like cricket but not too much fan as my hubby..same thing is going on here too:-((

Kajal said...

Hi Trupti,
So many good dishes are here. After long time I comment and see your blog I miss so many things. Cricket craze is in India you not amazing but I see the match of India vs Bangladesh and I leave the match in half part because Indians cricketers play very badly. O.K. It is not so important but when I see a photo RAHUL DRAVID in your blog I remember last night. Good design and excellent recipe trupti.
Have a nice day.:))

Anonymous said...

The cricket fever is in my house too. Some how I don't fancy that game as much as my hubby does :) Makai Chevdo looking good. We make something on the same lines .By the way Rahul Dravid looks handsome than Rahul Sharma !!:)

cindy said...

my hubby is a die-hard football fanatic...but i won't let him subscribe to the football network. it would just be TOO much! at least the sports seasons always come to an end!

Lotus Reads said...

Wow, this is an excellent teatime snack...I will be sure to try it. Truly indebted to you Trupti for all your lovely recipes, thank you!

Sreelu said...

Trupti, Looks yummy ,on the spot southen ,our whole life revolves around this southen and her schedules

Search this Blog: