Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Gujarati Series: Pooris and Milky Fruit Salad

My two favorite items together, Milky, Vanilla flavored Fruit salad and Pooris.......give me these two together, and there is no need for anything else!

I made this on Monday especially for my grandmother who came from India last week. Since this would be her first time visiting my home after I got married, I wanted to make something special....along with this, I made the typical Gujarati fare: Kadhi, Tuver-Lilva and Eggplant Shaak, Varoda ( recipe coming next week), and rice with the usual papads and pickles.

Here is what you need to make this Summer favorite of mine......

  • 1 Liter- Whole Milk
  • 1/2 cup- Extra Milk
  • 2.5 tbsp- Custard powder ( I used Vanilla Flavored one)
  • Sugar - to your taste
  • Mixed fruits: I used apples, grapes, Chiku (sapota), Pomegranates, and bananas
  • 1 tsp: Cardamom powder
  • A handful of roasted almonds and Pistachios
  • A pinch of saffron- crushed
  • 1 tsp: Pure Vanilla Extract
In a deep pan, boil the milk and the sugar for around 20-25 minutes, stirring constantly. In a separate bowl,mix the cold milk and the custard powder together until smooth. After the milk has boiled, add this mixture slowly, stirring all the way. Keep this mixture on the heat for around 7-10 minutes more. Add the Vanilla extract now and stir. Remove from heat after the 10 minutes and let it cool completely.

Meanwhile, cut the fresh fruits into small pieces, roast the almonds and pistachios in the microwave till lightly browned. Add the cut up fruits, and nuts along with the saffron, and cardamom powder to the cooled milk.

Let the milk cool completely before serving. Enjoy with pooris or on its own as a refreshing Summer drink!


Search this Blog: