Friday, 8 June 2007

RCI: Maharashtrian Cuisine-Vari Tandoolachi Khichdi/ Moraiyo and treats from Linda.......

Linda from "Out of the Garden" sent me these generous gifts......a bag of Jackfruit chips, some really good New England Coffee and a lovely postcard depicting a Boston Lighthouse.......I am just so bowled over by this gesture of hers, I had to write about it.

You see, Linda had read in a comment somewhere that I didn't get "Jackfruit" in Newfoundland, and she sent me some Jackfruit Chips! Along with it came this smooth, velvety New England Coffee.....and anyone that knows me, knows my passion for Coffee!

I just wanted to share this with you all.....Thank you so much Linda for your kind gesture, I am so glad to know you!



Today's recipe is for "Vari Tandoolachi Khichdi" or "Moraiyo Khichdi" (Gujarati)......or known as "Samo" or "Vari Tandool" in Marathi.

Often made when "fasting", this is a delicious concoction, almost like an upma. I won't get into the discussion of "fasting" and the various foods and rituals that go with it.....I have some strong views on it. Email me if you'd like to discuss them! (lol)


Here is what you need:
  • 1 cup: Moraiyo ( known as Samo, Vari Tandool)
  • 1 small: grated Potato ( you can use chopped too)
  • 3 cups: boiling water
  • 2 green chilies- chopped
  • Few Curry Leaves
  • Roasted Peanut powder - optional
  • 1 tsp: Cumin Seeds
  • 1 tbsp: Oil or Ghee ( Ghee tastes better)
  • Salt, Sugar, Fresh Lemon Juice- to taste
Wash and drain the grains. In a deep pan, heat the oil or ghee, whatever you're using. Add the cumin seeds and the curry leaves along with the chopped chilies. If using chopped potatoes, add them now and let them cook.

Add the grains and stir for a few seconds. Now add the boiling water and peanut powder, if using it. I left it out of mine. Stir well, and add the grated potato, salt and sugar. Cover and lower the heat. Keep checking and stirring so that it doesn't stick to the bottom. When all the water evaporates, its done. Mix well and add some lemon/lime juice if you'd like and serve with some cold yogurt.This is also my contribution to RCI- Maharashtra Cuisine hosted by the lovely Nupur of "One Hot Stove" blog.
Image Courtesy: Nupur

TIBETAN HERBAL MEDICINE

Search this Blog: