Friday, 22 June 2007

Weekend Lunch Series: Sooji Dhokla (Semolina Dhokla)


Last week, I had the biggest craving for these Sooji Dhokla after having them at my aunt's house some time ago. I wasn't TOO happy with the results, but it was partly my fault, I was mixing the ingredients as my aunt had told me, and then I got a phone call. I left to attend that, came back and absentmindedly added some extra Besan- which I was NOT supposed to do....so the dhoklas weren't as light and airy as they should have been...but the taste! oh the taste was just fine...and after I tempered it with some Sesame & Mustard seeds...it was perfect!

Here is my aunt's recipe: Just don't overdo the besan like I did!
  • 1 cup: Sooji, Semolina
  • 1 tbsp: Besan, Chickpea Flour
  • Some sour yogurt: to blend
  • Green Chili-Ginger Paste- to taste
  • Salt, Sugar - to taste
  • 2 tsp: lemon/lime juice
  • 1/8tsp: turmeric and a pinch of asafoetida
  • 1tsp: of Eno or Soda
  • Pinch of Baking Powder
For the Tempering:
  • 1 tbsp: Oil
  • 1 tsp: Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp: Sesame Seeds
  • 1 chili- diced
  • 1/8tsp: Asafoetida
  • Cilantro to garnish (optional)
In a bowl, mix the Semolina,yogurt, salt, sugar, turmeric,baking powder and the green chili-ginger paste. Keep aside for 10 minutes. The consistency of this mixture should be like Idli batter...thick enough to pour into the steamer plates. The batter should not be too runny either.

When ready to steam the dhoklas, add the Lemon/lime juice and the Eno and mix really well, until frothy. Grease a thali or a cake pan with some oil and pour the batter. Steam these for 10-15 minutes, just as you would Idlis or Khamans.

If you don't have an Idli steamer available, take a large pot, fill it with water, put a rack on the bottom, place a stainless steel thali or plate with the dhokla mixture on top. Cover the lid and let the water boil. The dhoklas will be ready in 10-15 minutes.

When the dhoklas have cooled, cut into small pieces. Heat oil in a pan,add the asafoetida and the green diced chili. Add the mustard and sesame seeds. When the sesame seeds turn brown, add the dhokla pieces. Stir until the edges are browned and garnish with Cilantro.

Serve hot with some tea and pickles for a quick lunch.

TIBETAN HERBAL MEDICINE

Search this Blog: