Monday 29 September 2008

Alu Dum - Potatoes in a Cashew Sauce

I absolutely love this simple recipe!
I have always liked such dishes but I try not to eat it TOO often because they are laden with heavy cream and butter. This version, however is low in fat! how, you ask?
Instead of deep frying the potatoes, I sauteed them in some Olive Oil to get that browned look and I used some low-fat milk instead of heavy cream to get that richness in the gravy. The taste is still wonderful!
Serve this with some hot pooris or parathas and you have a delicious weekend lunch, or better yet, take it to a potluck and it will IMPRESS!


This is what you need:


Ingredients:

10-15: new baby potatoes
3-5: ripe, red tomatoes
1 tbsp: tomato paste
10-15: Cashews, soaked in water for half an hour (at least)
1 large onion - chopped
1 large jalapeno-chopped (optional)
1 small piece ginger- chopped
2-3 cloves garlic- chopped
1 heaping tbsp - your favorite garam masala
1/2 cup - low fat milk (optional) use any other dairy free product if making this 'vegan'.
1 tbsp - Paprika ( you can add more if you'd like)
1 tsp-Tandoori Masala and your favorite Garam masala
Salt, sugar, turmeric - to taste
1 tsp - cumin seeds and nigella seeds
Oil - per your taste

Boil the new potatoes first and let them cool. Peel the skin off and set aside. In a wide pan, heat some oil, about 1.5 tbsp, and add the nigella seeds. Add the peeled potatoes and saute on medium heat until they get a brown hue all over. While the potatoes are browning, make the sauce. You'll need your blender for this. Blend the cashews, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and the jalapeno. Make a thick puree. Make sure there are no lumps.

In another deep pan, heat a little bit of oil and add the cumin seeds. Add the tomato paste and cook until you see the oil leaving the sides of the pan. Now add the rest of the puree. Simmer this until the raw smell is gone. Add the rest of the seasonings and the milk. Cover, and let the sauce thicken. Add the potatoes, and stir well. Cook further for another 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot. I served this with Pooris.

Enjoy.

Here's my latest food post on Food Network Canada website: Taj Mahal - A Review.

23 comments:

Sia said...

heaven, i have bought big bag of new potatoes just to make dum aloo :)

Anonymous said...

Trupti, I love small potatoes in gravy curries, absolutely comforting! Your curry looks tempting!

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Brilliant- I've been craving these for the past week, so your recipe feels like the work of ESP to me- will cook this weekend!

Sonia said...

Hi Trupti,
hmmm...mouth-watering dish...! Will make it soon and let u know.
Sonu:)

SMN said...

Hey Trupti it will be so yum my fav this is.. looks really nice

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti, This looks yummmm. Will it taste the same if instead of baby potatoes, I cut big potatoes in chunks and follow the rest of the recipe as it is ? Not easy to get baby potatoes here..

Priyanka said...

the pic is just too tempting.....

Shreya said...

Hi Trupti, I love dum aloo, nice way to make it low fat:-) Pooris looks so good!

Deepthi Shankar said...

Alu dum looks delicious .... lovely with rotis .. its been ages since i had them .. the pic is delish

S said...

Wow this looks fantastic.......

Bhawna said...

Alu Dum looks delicious, Ur recipes are really good. I tried Muthiya today. Comes out really good. I'm going to post picture in my blog.
Thank u very much.

Supriya said...

Hi Trupti, your dum aloo looks delicious...what's not to love. Reminded me that I haven't made it in a while. Must make it soon.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Thanks for the great recipe.

anudivya said...

The gracy looks nice and rich. Pics are way too nice.

delhibelle said...

the dum aloo looks lovely, as does your profile pic:)

Karthika said...

Hey Trupti,

I tried this recipe for dinner yesterday and we absolutely loved it. Was exactly the gravy that I was craving for...Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe, its definitely a keeper.

- Karthika

Bharti said...

That cashew sauce has my mouth watering. It's almost dinner time and that's what I want now!
Sorry, my first time here and I'm rambling away.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

We love this too and what's better if it comes in a version that adds fewer calories to my waistline? :)
I used to follow your blog and didn't realise you were back.

Dori said...

That looks and sounds mouthwatering! It had such a rich color and after reading the ingredients I am craving some!!!

Unknown said...

Alu Dum looks yum! Very nice picture :)

Ameet Maturu said...

Trupti,

I love the idea for a cashew sauce. I'm definitely gonna make this!

Thanks for posting on Rice of Life and introducing me to your blog. Good stuff here!

Ameet

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti,

Am delurking to say, I love your blog and your recipes. But this is the first one that I've actually tried and it was absolutely lovely! and so easy too! I skipped the nigella seeds and tomato paste coz I didn't have any, o/w followed it exactly. I loved how little chopping was involved - just threw all the gravy stuff in the blender and it was done. MMMMmmmmmm..... Came out so good. This is going in my recipe file and will be a regular in my house.

Thanks so much for such an awesome recipe!!

Anonymous said...

helloo!..made the curry today and it turned out really good...thanks for this 'quick and easy' recipe!

Search this Blog: