Wednesday 4 February 2009

Rustic Gujarati Series: Bharelu Ringan Shaak- Stuffed Chinese Eggplants

Doesn't that look great??

I was lucky enough to get some fresh Chinese eggplants at the grocery store the other day,and I thought about making this delicious, stuffed recipe with them.

I used to hate eggplants at one point in time, but I can't imagine why I ever did. Now, I enjoy making mostly anything with the eggplants, and these Chinese long eggplants happen to be my favorite!

Here is the very easy, rustic Gujarati recipe that can be enjoyed at any meal.

You can use eggplants by themselves here, or use a combination of baby potatoes, pearl onions, carrots and the like.

Note: Please use this recipe as a guideline only, adjust quantities to your taste.

Ingredients:

5-6 Eggplants - washed and slit ( See picture)

Filling:
1/2 cup - Besan flour
1 tbsp- Sesame Seeds
1 heaping tbsp or more - ginger, chilies, garlic paste
1 tsp- Aamchur powder or lemon Juice
Salt, Sugar, Turmeric, Chili powder - to taste
1 tbsp- Dhania-jeeru powder
1 tbsp- Garam Masala

To temper:
1 tbsp - Oil
Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida, Dried Chilies, Curry leaves and a few Garlic pods- sliced

Wash and cut the eggplants into large pieces. Make a Slit down the middle leaving some room at the end.

Mix all the ingredients listed in the filling together. Stuff each eggplant with this mixture and set aside.

In a wide pan, heat some oil. Wait till it gets quite hot and add the mustard seeds, chilies, curry leaves and the garlic. Add the asafoetida after the garlic sizzles.

Place each eggplant in the pan and gently stir. Sprinkle around 2 tbsp of water on top and cover. Cook on medium heat until done, around 15-20 minutes. Do stir in between to make sure all the sides get cooked evenly. Garnish with chopped Cilantro leaves and serve hot.

Serving Suggestions: Bajri Rotlo, Chaas, a spicy garlic pickle and of course, some papad.

An authentic Gujarati Village meal at its best....enjoy!

Bookmark and Share

26 comments:

Raaga said...

I love anything made with brinjals... :-) I have got to try this.

Uj said...

Looks delicious... Eggplants are the only veggies that are widely available here... :D

Unknown said...

Eggplants are surely looking good, I like anything with eggplant. stuffing sounds very great, will try this gujurathi dish...

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks lovely recipe...

musical said...

Yummy! Besan stuffing is my favorite kids!

Vani said...

Looks heavenly, T! Same as you-hated eggplants at one point in my life. Now I love them!

Anonymous said...

This has to be delicious recipe. We are big tim baingan fans.. & i make the stuffed one I learnt from my MIL. never stuffed it with besan.. abhi khane ka man kar raha hain:-)

Purva Desai said...

Bharelu Ringana nu shaak joi n modha ma paani aavi gayu.....khichdi saathe aa shaak ni macha padi jaay....
I am on orkut....and not on facebook...planning to open account on facebook

delhibelle said...

Looks and sounds awesome!

Devadeva Mirel said...

eggplant rocks.. looks great.

Anonymous said...

These sound great and the pictures are beautiful...I can almost taste the baingan. I make okra using a similar recipe...never thought to use it with eggplants - thanks!

A_and_N said...

Never tried this! Or, heard of this. I love baingan. Should try this soon :)

Anonymous said...

In Andhra cuisine too, there is a similar preparation made with brinjals (the smaller variety).

The rustic bharelu ringan shaak looks yummilcious :)

Joie de vivre said...

My husband would go nuts for this dish!

Bong Mom said...

I am not much of a brinjal fan, but will definitely try this one, haven't had something like this before

Manju said...

i love eggplants anyday...this looks very delicious!

veggie belly said...

I'm not a big eggplant fan. But this looks great, I'll have to try it. There have been so many yummy eggplant recipes in the blog world, I think I'll become a convert soon.

lubnakarim06 said...

I love brinjals....This look new to me.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti -- eggplants are my fav any way, but this way seems so ambitious! The only time I tried to stuff eggplants, most of the stuffing fell out. Maybe I should make more of a paste. It really looks delicious!!

workhard said...

The eggplants are really tender and they taste really good when baked too,

Work from home

PG said...

thwese really look fantastic! I like aubergine a lot and these pictures are making me wan to try these too and you know what, I just bought the smallest eggplants I can find here. Think I'll be trying yours out soon.
Thanks for this lovely recipe and mouthwatering pictures!

PG said...

ried it and it was lovely! Will post abut it and tell you.

What's In A Name!? said...

WOW! I am so so so surprised with your gujarati food series!

Being a gujarati myself, I felt good reading gujarati words on the blog in recipes!!

I am so surprised and happy to see this! :D

Great work!

AMIT said...

Yeah i have tasted this dish.

Lingerie news

Ambika said...

That is gorgeous!! I know very little about gujrati food, but I guess your blog's the best way to start!! Will try your recipes soon!

Cool said...

Excellent Artice. Thanks

work from home jobs

Search this Blog: