Sunday 4 April 2010

Spiced, Tempered Lassi-An Ayurvedic Favorite

Spring is a glorious time for change and renewal....I do look forward to Spring even though I love Winter! Its a perfect opportunity to mend the old ways and try to start afresh.
One of the things I do like to do is change my diet according to the season. This spring, I'll turn to 'lighter' foods to shed the few winter pounds! Salads, fresh fruits, and teas are something I try to have at least several times a week. Gone are the heavy soups,breads, and comfort foods; until next winter anyway.
One such item I like to have in the Spring-Summer months is Lassi. I like all kinds, sweet, salty, fruity, spicy, flavored.....they're all good! Yogurt when mixed with water is a "channel-opener" for all the body types. I did not know that until just recently. Lassis, when had at lunch time especially helps with the digestive process. The active cultures in the yogurt lubricate the stomach lining and aids in smoother digestion.

I have a perfect spicy tempered Lassi recipe today, that I am sure many of you might be familiar with already. This is good on its own or served along with a meal.....its up to you.

LASSI, Tempered and Spicy:
1-2 cups water
1 cup fresh homemade yogurt or store bought
1 pinch ground ginger (optional)
1 pinch ground cumin
1 pinch salt 

To temper: 1 tsp Oil, cumin seeds, fresh chopped jalapenos, curry leaves, coriander/cilantro leaves

Blend the yogurt and the water with the ginger, ground cumin, and salt.
In a small pan, heat the oil, add the curry leaves, jalapenos and the cumin. Let it sizzle until the cumin starts to turn dark brown. Add the blended yogurt mixture and top with coriander/cilantro leaves. Taste for the seasoning and serve. I drank some of this on its own right before dinner and had the rest with peas pulao. A delightful combination.

Variations: Sweet Lassis- Add honey or sugar and spices such as cardamom, or saffron, add mango pulp for a nice change too.


Search this Blog: