Tuesday 5 December 2006

Shovelling snow and Stuffing Bhindi


Yes, Folks.....its snowing right now-HARD. We got around 15-25 cms of snow. I already shoveled most of the snow early this morning along with Kartik, and I thought I was done for the day. Surprise! The snow plough made another round on my street and stuffed all the snow we had shoveled back in our driveway. arrrggghhh!!

Anyway....such is life I guess. No worries. We'll just make some good food and enjoy as the wind howls outside. Right?
Here is something I tried with frozen bhindi for the first time. I have always made stuffed bhindi while they were fresh, but I used frozen whole Okras.....just for a change. Here's what you do:

Thaw 1 bag of frozen whole okra and make a tiny slit in the middle. Meanwhile, get the stuffing ready, you will need: 2 tbsp besan flour, dhania jeera powder, dry pickle masala, salt, sugar, a pinch of amchur, shredded garlic clove, turmeric and some oil and jeera for the tempering.

Stuff the bhindis with the masalas and sprinkle some all over to coat them. Set aside for atleast 5-10 minutes before cooking.

Heat oil in a flat saucepan, Add Jeera. I find that flat pans work best for this type of a recipe. Now, add the okras. Let them sizzle on high heat at first. Lower the heat and let them cook until they turn slightly crispy. Add some more shredded garlic like I did for extra flavor.Serve hot with chapatis and yogurt for a delicious lunch.
Enjoy the recipe....while I go shovel some more snow.....!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Truptiben..how are you. Not been in touch recently really busy with lots of things. I am also helping with the FAHC campaing, please visit My Dhaba website for details. Would love your support.

I love the Bhindas, I make them the same way. In fact had them yesterday. Thanks for the recipe. Take care ben...~smile~

swapna susarla said...

Hai trupti

stuffed bhendi is mouthwatering...nice

Seema Bhat said...

Trupti :
Yet another version of stuffed Okra...looks great as always..I made stuffed okras too yesterday but my version is different ..thanks for sharing buddy
Cheers

FH said...

Hi Trupti,simple but delicious Bhindi dish:)

Soory about the snow,I know it's hard when it's very cold and dreary specially for the kids stuck at home.In NC, it's in the 50's and sunny! We might get some snow in Jan.

Be warm and cozy:))

liberal foodie said...

Trupti,

the picture really made my mouth water. a really good recipe. if you don't mind me asking, where does this recipe come from? It sounds gujarati, but I am not sure. I've never used amchur in bhindis.

TNL said...

Dilipbhai, thanks for visiting, I checked out My Dhaba's campaign, its a wonderful project and will be sure to contribute.

Swapna: thanks!

Seema: Yes, would love to see your version!

Ashaji: NC weather is always nice! I love it whenever I visit...especially the fall.

Liberalfoodie: yep, Its a Gujju dish, handed down by my mom and us Gujjus love stuffed veggies! Aamchur gives it a different flavor and gpes really well with stuffed veggies. Do try it!

Jaya M said...

Dear Trupti'
wow ! lovely green Bhindi ,yumm , looks so ready to be eaten .(well as far as snow is concerned ,I am still waiting for it )
hugs and smiles
Jaya

Vini K said...

Hi Trupti,I recently made stuffed bhindi curry but that was a dry curry.This one looks good.Another addition to my roti menu.Thanks dear:)

Manasi said...

Hi Trupti, Okra looks sooooo goood! It's my fav vege! Thanx for sharing :D

Unknown said...

hey trupti ,

I made the bhindi recipe for dinner tonite ..it was yummy ..:) ...my hubby is not very fond of bhindi but he loved this ...thanku for such a great and easy recipe..

keep up the good work...

pooja

Search this Blog: