When I make Idlis, I like to have all sorts of chutneys along with the Sambhar...I can't have just either or, must have both....
Once such chutney I make is the Roasted Chana Daal Chutney. The Chana daal is roasted to a golden color and is blended with coconut, chilies, Idli Chutney powder, Onion, tomato, and tempered with Urad daal, curry leaves and mustard seeds. This chutney goes really well with the Idlis and adds a wonderful flavor to the plate of Idli-Sambhar. A reader of this blog, Ami asked me to post this one....so here it is, Ami.
- 1/2 cup - Chana Daal, roasted and soaked for 4-6 hours
- 1 medium Onion, 1 medium tomato - chopped roughly
- 1 large Jalapeno or a couple of Indian Chilies
- 1 medium piece of Coconut
- For the tempering: Oil, Urad daal, curry leaves, dry red chili, mustard seeds
- 1.5 tbsp- Idli Chutney Powder, can use more if you like it hot.
- Salt, Sugar,Lemon Juice to taste
Pour over chutney and mix well. Adjust seasonings to your liking. You can also add fresh Cilantro to this if you like.....Serve with Idlis or Dosas. Use within a couple of days. Here's another look under a different light. Enjoy.
Upcoming Post Preview: Weekend Lunch/Gujarati Series: Tikhi Puri, Rasavalu Batata nu Shaak....(Spicy Puris with a Gravy based Potato Curry)