I got some fresh Amba haldar (turmeric) last week....courtesy of Kartik. Here is my way of making this very easy, very healthy pickle.
You will need:
- 5-6 large pieces of Amba Haldar - the yellow, orange, or the pale kind.
- 2 pairs of plastic gloves - very important.
- 1 lemon - cut into pieces
- Salt, Lemon Juice - to taste
- Enough Water to cover the cut Haldar.
When ready to cut them, put on another pair of gloves. Chop them into slivers. Set aside.
In a glass jar, add the cut lemon pieces, chopped haldar pieces, enough water to cover the haldar, lemon juice, and salt. Make sure to taste the brine mixture. It shouldn't be too salty or acidic. Cover and Shake the bottle gently. Leave out overnight in a cool place and put in the fridge the next day. In a matter of days, you will have a perfect crunch to the Haldars. Give the bottle a shake every other day for the lemon flavors to come through. Serve with any meal. Enjoy.
Upcoming Post Preview: Weekend Lunch Series: " Corn Poha"