Tuesday, 8 May 2007

Gujarati Series: Sukhadi.......and a Celebration

Today is my son's birthday, and what better way to celebrate than posting something as sweet as him!
This is Sukhadi - a traditional Gujarati dessert, made in many homes on special days. One of my favorites since childhood, I remember going to Mahudi to the temple of Lord Ghanatakarna Mahavir. The Sukhadi used to be served as a Prasad, and we would get entire trays of this for the family.The only restriction was that this Sukhadi be eaten within the temple grounds. Taking it out of the grounds would result in a series of unfortunate events. Abiding by this law, my mother would make sure it was all gone by the time we left! That Sukhadi was sweet, soft, buttery and totally delicious. Here is my version, try it sometime:

You will need:
  • 1 cup - Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 cup - Grated Jaggery
  • 3/4 cup - Ghee
  • 1 tsp- Cardamom Powder
  • 2 tbsps- Milk
In a wide pan, heat the ghee. Add the flour slowly and roast until golden brown.....you'll see the mixture coming together.Lower the heat to a minimum. Add the grated Jaggery at this point along with the Cardamom powder and the milk. Take off the heat. In a greased tray, slowly and evenly spread the mixture. Sprinkle some cardamom powder and nuts if you like. I left it plain. Cut into triangles while it is still warm so it will easier to remove. Let it cool a bit and serve. This is also healthy for kids, I give both my sons a piece each day for an extra boost in calories and energy.

Here are some baby pictures I would like to share.....my little tiger has come a long way!

Here he is today, a bundle of energy and laughs......this kid really knows me inside out, an old soul perhaps?
Happy Birthday, My Son.


Search this Blog: