Chauli or Long Beans with Eggplant.....a combination, that sounds unusual to many, but is a popular way of preparing it the traditional Gujarati way. This curry goes well with some phulkas ,some kadhi and aamraas....just something about those items served together, reminds me of my grandmother's home, I guess I try and recreate some of my cherished memories for my own children!
Here is the very recipe and a healthy one at that. You will need:
- 1-2 bunches of fresh Long Beans (chauli,chawli), or known as Dow Gok In Asian Stores-chopped
- 1 medium Eggplant- chopped
- 1 tsp- Ajwain Seeds, 1/4 tsp- Asafoetida
- 2 cloves of Garlic- chopped
- 1 tbsp- Corn Oil or any oil you prefer
- Turmeric, Chili powder, Salt, Sugar - to taste
- 1-2 tbsp of Water
Cook for few minutes more until no liquid is left. Serve hot with Phulkas, Kadhi and Aamraas....this combination never gets old!
Upcoming Post Preview: Gujarati Series: "Monthly Blog Patrolling- Sweets"