Tuesday 17 February 2009

Eggless Dessert- Apple & Strawberry Crisp

I admit, I am not much of a baker. While I do make cakes and cookies now and again, I am just not that good at it.....I've tried my hand at pies and cakes before, but they usually turn out, well...bad and fit for the trash can.

So, when I came across a recipe for an egg less apple crumble that didn't involve rolling a pie dough, I decided to give it a try......and let me tell you, this is easier than apple pie!
I also had some sweet strawberries in the fridge that I wanted to use....so this became an apple-strawberry crisp.

While it may not look fancy, the taste is divine!!!
Here's the recipe.

Use the recipe as a guideline- adjust accordingly to your quantity of fruit.

Apple-Strawberry Crisp:

For the topping:
1/2 cup- rolled oats
2/3 cup- all purpose flour
3/4 cup- brown sugar
6 tbsp- softened butter or margarine
1 tsp- Cinnamon
1 tsp- Vanilla Extract
1 tsp- nutmeg, 1/2 tsp- salt,

For the Fruit: Sliced apples and strawberries, 2 tbsp Sugar (optional) and 1 tsp- Lemon juice

Put the sliced apples and strawberries in a deep baking dish, sprinkle the sugar and lemon juice.

Mix all the topping ingredients with a fork or by hand till it resembles a coarse mixture.
Sprinkle the topping on the fruit and spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes till browned.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to allow the natural juices to set.


Serving Suggestion: This is best when served warm with some cold, Vanilla ice cream....you can also eat it as is! It is just as good!

You can also substitute other fruits in this recipe- peaches and pears, rhubarb and apples, apples and berries, all are good together!

This is a perfect dessert for novice bakers like me and also a nice way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. What better way to spend some quality time with them and then sharing this wonderful dessert together!

20 comments:

Bong Mom said...

Divine, definitely :)

Bindiya said...

crisp looks very good, must be delicious...strawberries were a good addition.

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupti,

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and share your comments...Your apple and strawberry crisp is definitely an easy addition to my list of kid-helping recipes!!! Will bookmark the same!!! Do let me know If you could add me in your blogroll. I have already added you in mine.

Thanks, Shobha

Purva Desai said...

Devilish and crispy and lovely combo of fruits

Anonymous said...

that looks lovely. and you say eggless too? why, that's awesome.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have been to your place before.. Its awesome. & I love apple strawberry Crisp!

Uj said...

Love anything with strawberries in it.. Looks delecious

A_and_N said...

I agree. its an easy dessert ot make on a weeknight for those sweet cravings!

veggie belly said...

I'm all for eggless dessert. I love the oat crust!

Anonymous said...

I made this just yesterday after watching it on Sanjeev kapoor's show and it turned out pretty yummy.
Next time I'll try with the other fruits you've suggested.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow scrummy...

Unknown said...

I make them atleast once a week with whatever fruits i have. Like you recipe looks very nice..

musical said...

So yummy! Kuchh bacha hai ya sab finish?

Pooja said...

Hi I am a vegetarian too & have 2 small kids & I am in constant need of sweet recipes,will try this out,Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Crisps look delicious Trupti :)

Vani said...

Same like you -never quite took to baking, except if it's a premade dough like Pillsbury! :) Crumble looks and sounds delicious, T!

Andhra Flavors said...

looks delicous. and healthy too..

Anonymous said...

Looks nice and tempting..

Nitin Mahajan said...

thanks for the Visit Trupti, Well i have to say you have maintained your blog quite nicely. For mine, its just a passtime for me, whenever i get time from office, i cook something and have my better half do the typing:-)

The Dessert sure looks yummy, will surely try it in free time.
~Nitin

Raisinmama said...

I found this recipe a month or so ago and have been baking it weekly with the local farmer's market strawberries. Sometimes, I have thrown in some blueberries, too. One time, I dumped in too much vanilla by mistake -- excellent. I've also thrown some slivered almonds on top for additional crunch. There's no way to mess up these flavors. Thanks!

Search this Blog: