Monday 30 March 2009

Aloo Shimla Mirch Stirfry - Potato Bell Pepper Stirfry

I love such dry stir frys! They are SO flavorful, especially with the addition of some Aamchur Powder ( Dried Mango Powder) and with a 'tadka' of Jeera Seeds.....wow.
The taste is amazing. This is so very simple.....make it when you're in a hurry and you'll be eating in no time.

Here's what you need:

2 large potatoes - I used Yukon Gold- Partially cooked, peeled and chopped
2 large Bell Peppers, chopped

1 tbsp- Olive Oil
1 tsp- Cumin Seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp- turmeric
1 tsp or more aamchur ( dried mango powder)
1 tsp- Chili powder
1 tsp or more- dhania-jeera powder ( cumin-corainder)
1 tsp- your fav. Garam masala
Salt,Sugar - to taste

Cook the potatoes partially, either by boiling them or in the microwave for around 6-8 minutes. Cool and chop them along with the bell peppers.

In a wide pan, heat the Oil. Add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida. Add the potatoes, and stirfry for around 3-4 minutes. Let the potatoes get coated evenly. Now add the bell peppers and stir. Add the masalas and the salt/sugar. Lower the heat, stir once again and cover. Let it cook on low heat until the potatoes and the peppers get a nice crust. Serve hot!

Serving Suggestion: Chapatis, Fresh Yogurt and Pickles.

23 comments:

indosungod said...

What a simple and easy curry. A unique combination as well.

delhibelle said...

I love this sabzi, this is almost how my mom makes it. Thanks for reminding me

Pavani said...

I love simple stir fries a lot too since there are endless possible combinations. Addition of amchoor is interesting, will try it out. Happy Monday..

Vaidehi Bhave said...

one of my fav. combination.. colorful and delicious.. :)

Vaidehi
Marathi Recipes

Trupti said...

looks very mouthwatering & easy to make

Vani said...

I love green pepper & potato combi. Liked the simplicity of the bhaji. Coincidentally, I posted a simple cabbage bhaji just y'day :)

Subhie Arun said...

I love potato too...addition of amchoor powder is interesting..thx for sharing,,,

sunita said...

Yummy..I love such simple recipes Hope you had a great start to the week :-)

musical said...

YUMMY! Love the serving suggestions :). Dahi and bell peppers are a special combo.

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

You make some wonderful food. Your sons must be worshipping you:)

Chutneytales said...

Very yummy n simple stir-fry..Love the combo of bell pepper n aloo :)

Unknown said...

Love the aloo bell-pepper combo..

Madhavi said...

Love this stir fry, yummmmm!!!

Meenal Mehta said...

mouth watering , i love dry stir fries too :) will try this as soon as I get well..hope you had a great weekend

A_and_N said...

This is a fave! :) Make this every single week

AMIT said...

I love this post from you.

Lingerie Alley

Miri said...

Its been a long time since I had this combination - when I came to Delhi I was so overwhelmed with all the potato being eaten all the time that I banned potato for a while from the kitchen - need to do some more things - this recipe is one of my favourites and your version looks delicious!

Dori said...

I have become really fond of these stir fry's also, and this one really looks inviting!

Cynthia said...

I love your food. But then again, you already know that :)

Tina said...

Hai trupti...
im new to ur blog....very simple recipe with great combination....

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks tempting and yum...

Rupali Jain said...

My Mom used to make this!!u remind me of this..will try this of sure!!

Anonymous said...

If available, chile poblano gives a flavour much closer to Shimla mirch than ordinary bell peppers. Chile poblano can be got in any store that specializes in Mexican food.

Search this Blog: