Wednesday 16 March 2011

From Your Blogs: Green Beans with Coconut (Green Beans Thoran)

French beans or green beans are a favorite of mine, I love them in my soups, stews and curries.
This time though,I wanted to try out a new way of making them. I stumbled upon a South Indian recipe that was so easy and sounded just delicious! So, for a quick supper last week with rotis,  I made some Green Beans with coconut.

Here is the recipe verbatim from the blog "Denufood". 

I didn't add the onions, but the rest was the same, and it was delicious! 

French Beans Bhaji:
Ingredients:
3 cups green beans, chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp green chilies, chopped
3 –4 curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp grated coconut
pinch of turmeric
salt to taste

1. Heat oil in a pan or skillet
2.Add the mustard seeds, as they crackle, add onion, curry leaves, and green chilies and saute
3. Add the chopped beans and saute for couple of minutes.
4. Add in the turmeric, salt and fresh or frozen grated coconut and keep sautéing for 7 –10 minutes.(I like the beans to be crunchy in this type of recipe so I don’t prefer it cooking with lid covered)
5. Garnish with coconut and the serve as side or with chapati.

Enjoy!
 

4 comments:

Priyanka Agrawal said...

hmm looks nice tripti.

i am following u and a often visitor. i see we are from the same country and have a common interest: gujarati :)

would love to have u follow and visit me :)

Manasi said...

We make it the same way too, just add a bit of jaggery / sugar to give it a sweetish twist.

Richa said...

kem che Trupti? i too make a similar version & add some carrots too:) btw, if you like beans, you can try this shaak that i tasted recently, fansi vatana combination, gujju style adu/marcha sathey, try karje, bau saras shaak bansey :) tk care!

Vidya Sury said...

Lovely blog. Have been a follower for a while now. I've featured you in my "Sunday Special" today. :-)

Search this Blog: