Here is the very simple recipe for a very exotic sounding dish!
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any that you use
- 1 red onion,chopped
- 1 cup Basmati rice-soaked in water for an hour or so
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes OR 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon each of turmeric, garam masala, mustard seeds, cumin seeds
- 2 cups water or stock
- Any vegetables of your choice- I used bell peppers and peas.
- Handful of cashews
There are so many variations to this recipe, add veggies, nuts, paneer or even meats of your choice to make it interesting. Omit the tomatoes, and add spinach or mint puree for a gorgeous green pilaf. The taste of Spinach or mint with rice is incredible. Experiment and enjoy!