Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Gujarati Series: Vaghareli Lilva Khichdi and a MeMe....

Vaghareli Khichdi....the one meal that K can live on day in day out. Though I am not as big a fan as K, I do make this for him on a regular basis. Well, I better right? after all that K cooks for me!
This is a basic Gujarati recipe, though you will find many different ways of making this in every Gujarati home. Several readers have emailed me and requested traditional Gujarati recipes. So here it is, a recipe for a Gujarati style:
Vagahreli Lilva ni Khichdi.

You will need:

1 cup tuver daal, 2 cups rice, 1 medium onion-chopped, 4 large cloves garlic-chopped, 1-jalapeño pepper- chopped, 1 cup Tuver Lilva, (fresh or frozen), Jeera seeds, oil, hing,curry leaves, dry chili pepper for the tempering. Salt, turmeric, a pinch of sugar and garam masala to taste, 6 cups of water.

Soak tuver daal and rice for at least an hour. In a deep pressure cooker, heat some oil. Add jeera, hing, curry leaves, dry red chili, onions, garlic and Jalapeño. Add the Lilvas too and stir until the onions turn translucent. Now add the tuver daal and the rice and the spices.Add 6 cups of water. Let the mixture come to a boil. Now put the lid on and cook for 2 whistles. Leave the cooker on the range till it is cooled.
Serve hot with an authentic Gujarati Chaas,Kadhi, Pickles and Papad.....

Now, on to a MeMe that I was tagged by Supriya......"5 things that the world does not know about me...." hmm...this one is quite amusing...but will try my best. Here goes:

Meme Deleted.


Search this Blog: