Tuesday, 23 January 2007

Zucchini Thepla

Aahh..the weekend brunch..... Weekends are special to many of us since the whole family is home isn't it? I wasn't so lucky for the last few years though. I used to work every single weekend at the hospital in the Cardiac Surgery Unit and that meant only one thing - we were busy! I used to work long hours, often leaving the house at 600am and getting home around 800pm. I loved my work but I also missed out on many family events and gatherings. But that's life.....
I am fortunate now to have the weekend to spend with my small family...and of course, feed them to my heart's content..so every weekend, if we don't have major plans, I try and come up with something *different*. Past weekend, I did just that, and I made "Zucchini Theplas". Here is my recipe for these wonderful and unbelievably soft theplas.

You will need:
2 medium Zucchinis- grated, 2 cups whole wheat flour, Salt, turmeric, 2 tbsp Besan flour, Ginger-garlic-jalapeƱo paste, Cilantro leaves, a pinch of sugar, oil.

Grate the zucchini, make a paste out of ginger,garlic and the jalapeƱos. Set aside. In a bowl, combine the wheat flour,besan,cilantro, and all the other spices. Add the zucchini and GGJ paste. Knead a semi- stiff dough using very little water. You can add some sour yogurt for some tartness if you would like.









Now, take some flour and roll out into rounds. Place the rolled out thepla in a pan and cook it like you would a 'paratha'. That's it! Enjoy these soft and tasty theplas with yogurt, pickles,
or just tea/coffee for a weekend treat.

Hope you will try these sometime! I'll be back next time with a recipe for Mexican Grilled Chimichanga.

Music of the Moment: "Raag Mishra Khamaj" -Pt.S.Sharma

TIBETAN HERBAL MEDICINE

Search this Blog: