Sunday 11 February 2007

Mexican Pizzas.....and an Event Update.

One thing I miss about living in Tampa is Taco bell....how I love those 7-layer burritos, tacos, and the Mexican pizzas. TB has come through for me for those late night spicy cravings, mostly related to pregnancy though!..and of course, those times when we feel like just pigging out without giving two hoots about health.....and so many more times I can't even count!
Though we do have a TB here, it's not the full fledged one, its a tiny, rinky dink express joint which hardly has any choices...oh well. So, of course, I have to satisfy my Mexican cravings by making it on my own.....so, here is my way to make those pizzas that you find at TB.

This is what you will need:

1 packet- small tortillas, 1 bottle of Taco sauce,available at any grocery store, Mexican Cheese Blend, Green onions, Olives, tomatoes, Pinto beans- canned or fresh, taco seasoning.

Chop the green onions, tomatoes and set aside. Shallow fry the tortillas in a little bit of oil till golden brown and crispy. Meanwhile, make the bean layer by mashing pinto beans in some taco seasoning. Set aside.

To assemble: Take one of the crispy tortillas, spread some taco sauce on top, then the beans. Put another tortilla on top, spread some more taco sauce, add cheese, green onions, olives and tomatoes. Bake in the oven at 350F on a lined baking sheet, until the cheese melts. Enjoy with some rice, guacamole, sour cream, salsa or nachos.

Here are the Nachos that K made:

Layer some tortillas chips, spread beans and cheese on top. Bake until the cheese melts. Top with green onions, olives, tomatoes,and sour cream......enjoy!









Event Update:
I have received many suggestions for the Cooking Event, and I have decided to be fair and come up with an event that everyone will be able to participate in...and here is the theme:


"Spring Fling 2007-with Family and Friends in the Kitchen."


"Family/Friends in the Kitchen" - could be anyone from the family, husband, kids, your mother/father, in-laws, cousins, bhabhis...etc etc...or among the friend circle..your best friends, neighbors....I am being very generous here.

1. Cook a Vegetarian recipe -A dessert, main dish, side dish, appetizer of your choice, NO soups, NO Drinks though. The recipe must be Vegetarian. Origin of the recipe does not matter.

2. Cook with family/friend, include their hands/elbow/feet....catch my drift...in a picture,their initials,and their relationship to you in the post. If you would like to include face shots, it is entirely up to you.

3. Send two pictures, one of the dish and the other of your Kitchen mate helping you make the dish,and a permanent link of the recipe to: spicewholovedme@yahoo.ca

4.Send these entries by: May 20th, 2007..I am giving you guys plenty of time!

5. The BEST entry- judged on creativity and presentation, will receive a Prize from me, along with some other goodies being mailed to you...so get creative, have fun and let's see what we all come up with. What's the prize you ask? Well....obviously, one of them will be a COOKBOOK, which one, I don't know yet...the prize will be customized to the winner.....so something suited to you.

6. Post the recipe on your blog with the button that I will be making soon.

7. Only those with Blogs may participate, it doesn't have to be a food blog though.

So, Good Luck....and get cooking! Any questions, comments, write to me directly at:
spicewholovedme@yahoo.ca

Enjoy!

25 comments:

Bong Mom said...

Great Mini Pizzas and a Great Event.
Love your enthu !!!!!!

Bong Mom said...

Hey one more question

I just love those paintings which you put under "Art Of India". Are they from your collection ? Who is the painter ?

Sia said...

so this weekend was mexican for u? :) looks as usual...delicious with capital D:)
my post is ready but i didn't click the snaps with k's hand:( will see what i can do abt it.

Anonymous said...

WAH!!!!!!! What a way to make pizza!!!! Amazing!!!!

The event sounds excelllent!!!!! Will try to do something while I am in india!!!!

Ur site has become my official radio channel for the whole day..... Today I made few of my colleagues listen to it and like me they were also sitting with ur site open the whole day!!!!! Hahahahahaha

FH said...

My kids LOVE Taco Bell and eat there atleast once a week!!Both dishes look delicious.We love it any Mexican dish anytime!:))
Great event,for me it's kids again,I don't any have any family here.May be I will get Arvind's hairy hands once in a while!;D
Love the LCIK button.

USHA said...

Hi Trupti,

Mexican pizza looks just great dear...Ofcourse i never tried it though i got many chances to go to TB and mexican res...

Thanks for sharing..
Your event rules are perfect....let me see what i'm able to come with for the event...

Mishmash ! said...

HiTS:) Great Mini pizzas and colourful nachos.. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I love to experiment with mexican food.

Shn

Vidhya Rajesh said...

Hey! That is sooo sweet of you ... to change the rules of the event! Now you have made the creative juices in me flow :)))...

Manjula said...

Love those taco bell pizzas. I first had those in a friends house.
Glad you have a new event, this time more liberal and a PRIZE too!!!

Anonymous said...

The mexican pizza looks good..The new event sounds interesting, let me think what can I come up with..

-Sushma

Nabeel said...

Wow .. cool so colorful and rich !! .. I must try mexican pizza .. 'cuz I am done trying Italian !

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey trupthi,
This event rocks dear.The pizza looks so great.Will try.I have been to tb many a times but never tried these goona ask for this next time for sure.Thanks for sharing it.Well will try posting for this event if possible.

Sri said...

Trupti mexican pizza looks delicious...have to try it...Thanks for sharing the recipe. The new event sounds interesting.

Pooja said...

I love all Mexican dishes , as far as they are vegeterian. Your pizza looks so yummy ! and the nachos I love too ... so nice that Kartik bhai made this :D. I love anything Deepak made, as I get that much free from kitchen... :)) .
thanks for sharing this is really lovely.

Loved your button for theme too.
I have just posted my entry for LCIK on my blog for events.
will email you about this just now. nice theme for next month too. Deepak is all read to make something:)) .

-Pooja

Shilpa said...

I came across this taco-pizza idea when my hubby put too much on his tortilla, making it difficult to roll, haha..

Me, too, I like your Art of India paintings.. it changes everyday, right? Is it always the same artist?

Anonymous said...

Hi Trupthi,

The pizza looks great. Its lunch time now, just feel like grabing it.
Your site looks great now, I definitely like the white background. And also love the pics of Indian art!

Madhavi.

LERA said...

Lovely dishes to pamper your kids:) trupti,loved the instrumental music & your profile painting too..:)

Seema Bhat said...

Trupti,
TB is one of my fav fast food junction. God how much I love those hot chalupas, the seven layered burittos and even the mexican pizza. Thanx for the recipe gal and the I am in for the event. Just one question. How many entries can one person send?
Thanx
Seema

Manasi said...

The moment i read this post my mind started to cook up schemes to get M involved in the kitchen with me.... and so i forgot to leave my comment here! oops!!
Cross my fingers and hope to dish up something nice!!!

Prema Sundar said...

Mini pizzas looks cool. My daughter loves mini pizzas and sure going to try it soon. Thanks for the recipe and nice theme

swapna susarla said...

hi trupti
i missed a lot here. because of some busy i am not browsing..
very exciting theme.will surely participate with my hubby and brother..not for the prize but for the fun:-D

swapna susarla said...

oops i forgot to tell u about the pizzas..when i was in london me and my friend used to make these small pizzas for the kids.i too love it..

Chandrika said...

Sounds so fun, TS..Eager to participate!

Anonymous said...

Trupti,
would it be ok if I dont have the person's photo in any form? I had a friend prepare a sweet dish, but there is no photo of her! Would that invalidate my entry?

Raaga said...

Missed this event... but will participate the next time :)

Search this Blog: